Our programme of positive parenting sessions are tailor-made to the individual parent according to their needs and will include a range of activities to help support their learning. In addition to any other issues identified in the placement agreement, this will cover the following areas:
- Parenting Skills: the physical and emotional developmental care of the child(ren).
- Health: providing information so that parents can make informed decisions about their own health needs and those of their child. Sessions are delivered by Majestic’s qualified Nurse.
- Personal Development: the parent’s ability to balance their own interests, leisure activities, education, employment etc., with the needs of their child(ren). It will also explore issues such as how the parent manages anger.
- Relationship Analysis: to look at extended family, friends, partners and how they influence the way the parent looks after their child(ren) and how the parent(s) can create a safe and secure environment for their child(ren).
- Day to day living skills: focuses on the importance of the home environment i.e. the need for a clean, safe living environment, providing a balanced nutritional diet for parents themselves and their child, child focused day to day routines and coping strategies for dealing with day to day difficulties. Throughout the parent’s stay, we arrange a for a qualified Nutritionist to visit and undertake work with the parent to enhance their knowledge around healthy eating.
- Budgeting: to consider financial situations and ensuring that parents are able to manage their money so that their child(ren)’s needs are provided for.
- Child Protection: exploring types of abuse, behaviours associated with abuse and experience of abuse and how to minimise risk.
- Play: to help support parents in learning how to play and interact with their child and understand the importance of play to a child’s development. We facilitate in house weekly sensory groups to try to further the parent’s skills in playing with their child, and educate them about the importance of providing stimulating sensory experiences for their child.
- Baby Massage: we provide weekly in-house baby massage sessions to promote bonding between the parent and child, including benefits to the child such as improving weight gain, aiding digestion, improving circulation and easing teething pain.
- Activities in the community: we’re fortunate to have an abundance of centres locally which offer a range of parent/child groups, we’ll let parents know about these groups on their arrival and work with them to find the groups which they feel are going to be best suited to them and their child. We encourage the parent to attend regular groups throughout their placement, in addition to undertaking child focused activities in the community such as visiting the beach, soft play centres, swimming and parks.
- Psychological and/or Psychiatric Intervention/Assessment which will be agreed at the initial placement meeting.
As well as our in-house groups, we also encourage parents to attend certain locally run courses and sessions, primarily at Sure Start Centres. Children are cared for by staff whilst their parents undertake any sessions which aren’t suitable for the child to be present for.
The focus of this work is to build on family’s strengths, to provide safe parenting and improve life skills which can provide the foundation for life-long learning. We aim to raise parental self-esteem to enable positive change to occur.
A strong educative focus helps parents to develop their skills to protect their children from potential sources of harm. Staff teach parents how to implement safe routines for sleeping, bathing and feeding, how to recognise potential choking hazards and how to maintain a safe physical environment are all examples of this approach. Welfare topics are also covered. Ofsted 2016